A phase-shifting transformer is a device for controlling the power flow through specific lines in a complex power transmission network. The basic function of a phase-shifting transformer is to change the effective phase displacement between the input voltage and the output voltage of a transmission line, thus controlling the amount of active power that can flow in the line.
Phase Shifting Transformers (PSTs) are crucial components in the ongoing strive for improved AC network efficiency. Increasing amounts of transmitted energy push the networks to the limit, increasing the risk of network instability.
PSTs allow controlling the power flow in the transmission grid independently of the generation. By avoiding system overloads and instabilities protect transmission lines and HV equipment from thermal overload, improve transmission system stability and control the power flow between different networks, for parallel long distance overhead lines or for parallel cables.
In 2021, the market was growing at a steady rate and with the rising adoption of strategies by key players including Siemens, ABB, Tamini, Baoding Tianwei Baobian Electric and a few others, the market is expected to rise over the projected horizon.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the global Phase Shifting Transformers market size was estimated to be worth USD 96 million in 2021 and is forecast to a readjusted size of USD 150.9 million by 2028 with a CAGR of 6.6% during the forecast period 2022-2028.
PSTs are highly specialized pieces of equipment that require leading- edge design and manufacturing skills combined with stringent quality control. They are highly complex power transformers, with more windings and tap changers than traditional power transformers and a large number of connections between the three-phases.
Growing demand for the following applications around the world has had a direct impact on the growth of the PSTs:
- Re-Distribute Power in Parallel Lines (Both Ends Are at Same Voltage Level)
- Direct Power from One Voltage Level to Another (Auto-Transformer + PST)
At present the growing markets for PSTs are:
- North America (United States, Canada and Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Russia and Turkey etc.)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia etc.)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa)